Wednesday, December 7, 2011

#HGKWW

So I learned a new term today - HGKWW - Hair Gets Kinky When Wet.

Basically a friend of a fellow natural hair blogger said he preferred girls with looser curl patterns than kinky curl patterns. He started calling these girls HGCWW (curly).

Simply put, she implied the word kinky has a better connotation than the word nappy. To me they both mean almost the same thing. Is 'kinky' the new cool? Why? Word synonyms are socially constructed. Sadly we shouldn't care what connotations words have, we should just embrace our natural hair texture.

Is there really a difference between kinky and nappy? Why?

2 comments:

  1. Nope, I think kinky is just a polite way of saying nappy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no problem with the work kinky or nappy, but I do have a problem with people judging kinky/nappy hair as undesirable and not pretty.

    ReplyDelete